[linux-dvb] dvb-c & CI, but no picture?

Simon Baxter linuxtv at nzbaxters.com
Thu Jun 7 12:35:19 CEST 2007

> > David Härdeman wrote:
> >> Try something like:
> >>
> >> gnutv -channels channel.conf -out stdout "NAME_OF_A_CHANNEL" >
> >> outfile.mpg
> >>
> >> Let that run for a while and then see if you can play "outfile.mpg"
> >> with xine or mplayer.
> >
> > I get a file, but not a playable one.  Am trying Kaffeine - as I think
> > gnutv won't decrypt? (and my provider only sends encrypted channels)
>
> gnutv decrypts just fine (my provider also only sends encrypted channels).
>
> When you say it's not playable, does that mean you get a black window when
> you try to play it or does xine/mplayer refuse to play the file at all?
>
> What is the output from gnutv when you execute it like above?
>
> (If I record a stream using gnutv to a file without having working
> encryption, I get a file which is properly recognised by xine as a MPEG
> stream but which just produces a black window).

I get a file:

gnutv -channels channels.conf -out stdout ONE > outfile.mpg
[root at media1 ~]# file outfile.mpg
outfile.mpg: data

Can't play it with mplayer, xine or kaffeine though.

[root at media1 ~]# xine outfile.mpg
This is xine (X11 gui) - a free video player v0.99.4cvs.
(c) 2000-2004 The xine Team.
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame
bad_frame

[root at media1 ~]# mplayer -identify outfile.mpg | less
Can't open joystick device /dev/input/js0: No such file or directory
Can't init input joystick
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: No such file or directory
Failed to open LIRC support.
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

Opening joystick device /dev/input/js0
Setting up LIRC support...

Playing outfile.mpg.
TS file format detected.
DEMUX OPEN, AUDIO_ID: -1, VIDEO_ID: -1, SUBTITLE_ID: -2,
PROBING UP TO 2000000, PROG: 0
ID_VIDEO_ID=5011
ID_VIDEO_ID=5011