R: [linux-dvb] How to handle multiple frontends?

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Thu Mar 1 16:05:15 CET 2007

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Ralph Metzler wrote:
>

>> In the HVR3000 case, do both frontends then use the same demux0?
>> So, if one can open only one at the same time, both should use
>> demux0?
>>

> please, NO!
> it will be a hell to support in applications.
> Please, do it simple and bind frontendN to demuxN and dvrN (and netN)
>

>> If one can open them at the same time, frontend 0
>> should use demux0 and the other demux1?
>> At least the latter is how I am doing it on dual-tuner cards with
>> independent inputs.

I'm trawling through old postings...

The hvr3000 patches create adapterN/fe{0,1} and demux{0,1}. It's my
opinion that an adapter is a unit/path of delivery. Most/all of the
current digital drivers register adapter{0,1,...} depending on their
capabilities so the hvr3000 patches (with -EBUSY on the fe fops->open)
appeared to be a good solution.

Steve