[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-H information

Francesco Schiavarelli kaboom at tiscalinet.it
Tue Mar 6 16:43:02 CET 2007

Stéphane Esté-Gracias wrote:
>>> I found on Internet a free application to extract PES or ES from a TS,
>>> but don't know how I can 'de-packetize' the RTP/UDP/IP stack to
>>> visualize the raw H.264 stream. Do you know application in order to do
>>> it?
>> I used dvbnet apps (available with Linux DVB) to receive datagrams from
>> TS on a virtual net interface and routing to a multicast group.
>> Then you should be able to dump the H.264 ES with mplayer,
>> I used VLC to watch audio and video.
>>
>> regards,
>> Francesco
>
> Hello Francesco,
>
> I've tried without any succes to read DVB-H streams throught dvbnet and VLC.
> I only use tcpdump to extract packets from dvbnet interface.

To get the ESG I've done the following:
1 - Tune and create dvb network interface with dvbnet on the ESG pid
2 - Bring up dvb0_0 in promisc mode (otherwise won't work)
3 - Start a multicast routing daemon to route packet to eth0
4 - Receive ALC/FLUTE packets to reassemble ESG using bootstrap
5 - Extract SDP file from ESG

In 3) I used smcroute as I had problems with mrouted.
In 4) I used MAD-FLUTE receiver
In 5) you can have the SDP inspecting ESG fragments with a hex editor

To get A/V you need the SDP and then again:
1 - Tune and create dvb network interface with dvbnet on the A/V pid
2 - Bring up dvb0_0 in promisc mode (otherwise won't work)
3 - Start a multicast routing daemon to route packet to eth0
4 - Start VLC with the given SDP and enjoy your TV!

> For your information, I've started (first step) to write a library to decode
> ESG in order to obtain SDP (aka PMT like in DVB-H systems)
>
> Please see DVB-APPS repository for LIBESG :
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps?mf=8b37590c8695;path=/lib/libesg/;style=gitweb

Very good!
I hacked in some c code to parse ESG and extract SDP files.
It's ugly, incomplete and mostly unreadable code, but works here.
I'll be happy to share it, you are warned :)

regards,
Francesco