[linux-dvb] [RFC] Reviewed development procedures DVBMaintainer

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Sat Mar 10 22:13:42 CET 2007

Le 10.03.2007 06:42:16, Mauro Carvalho Chehab a écrit :
> Em Sáb, 2007-03-10 às 14:10 +0400, Manu Abraham escreveu:
> > On 3/10/07, Johannes Stezenbach <js at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   Maybe a hint that irc is not an adequate medium
> > >   for this kind of discussions?
> >
> > There is nothing wrong with IRC as a medium, but since the
> interaction
> > is faster the rate at which you reach the end state is also faster
> --
> > positive or negative. When there are enough negative arguments it
> very
> > easily leads to an explosive situation.
>
> As people tend to read/write quickly on IRC, and most of us have
> English
> as the second language, people tend to write things there that are
> easily misunderstood. I've seen this happening lots of the time.
>
> The chances are that, if you are urging to do something else, but
> you've
> received something interesting on IRC, you tend do a quick answer,
> often
> generating a long discussion on what you were meaning and lots of
> noise.
>
> > on a ML, there is a significant delay such that this "heat" just
> cools down.
> >
> > but said these negative aspect, there is a positive aspect also,
> that
> > if used properly things can be achieved faster, depending on the
> > people in the discussion.
>
> Discussions on ML produces better effects, IMO, even sometimes slowing
> down some discussions. The results are more likely to be positive,
> since
> people generally reviews their emails before sending.
>
> > > - Apparently irc sucks. I believe the mailing list is a much
> > >   better medium for this kind of discussions.
> >
> > True
> True.

Well not being a dvb developper, but merely just an end-user, but I
have experience in free sofwtare programming, I think that big
technical/architectural/invasive works tend to be better discussed on a
ML and IRC is just the best way to do "remote" debugging, that is just
discuss quickly to find the fix for a bug.
My 2 cents,
Bye
Manu