[linux-dvb] Doubt about cohexistence of FILTER and PES_FILTER on the same pid

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Sun Mar 11 20:15:56 CET 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007, [iso-8859-1] M=E5ns Rullg=E5rd wrote:
> Nico Sabbi <nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it> writes:
>
> > What would happen if I set a pes filter on pid N (e.g. pmt_pid) and at
> > the same time a section filter on the same pid?
> > Would I get data from both or only from the section filter?
> > The pdf doesn't mention this possible use case (or at least I didn't
> > find it).
>
> Whatever happens, doing that wouldn't make any sense.  A PID carries
> either PES data or sections, never both.

In the dvb api, a PES_FILTER is also used to get the raw TS stream for a
pid.  There is anothing about a PES_FILTER that requires the PID to have
PES data on it.

If you setup two filters for the same PID, I think the software filter code
will handle it ok.  For a device with hardware filters, it probably depends
on how the hardware works.