[linux-dvb] HVR-4000: questions and status of driver?

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Sat Mar 17 15:54:22 CET 2007

> What is the status of the driver, I saw that a S2-firmware were posted
> by stoth at hauppauge.com quite recently and
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/hvr4000
> +seems to have been updated quite recently.

It's currently being developed, the hvr4000 tree is the best place to
find any recent patches.

> Is it possible to use the DVB-T and the DVB-S(2) tuner at the same time?
> Does they appear as two diffeent frontends in Linux?

Not currently.

The kernel does not currently support this type of dynamic switching,
for the HVR4000 or any similar product. However, the HVR3000 tree
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/hvr3000 contains some prototype patches for
an RFC I am about to release, suggest some kernel improvements to allow
DVB-T and DVB-S to be used dynamically, with the hardware resources
shared correctly.

If the RFC is goes through the review/revise cycle quickly then those
patches should appear in the dvb tree soon, meaning that DVB-S, DVB-T
can be used on both the HVR4000, HVR3000 and some Medion based Philips
products.

They are also dependant on Manu's multiproto patches, which are not
currently accepted for mainline merge.

Steve