[linux-dvb] HVR4000 Support

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 08:30:37 CET 2007

On 3/18/07, Darron Broad <darron at kewl.org> wrote:
> In message <1a297b360703171245g2ffb04dfh6872a855cfc1a578 at mail.gmail.com>, "Manu Abraham" wrote:
>
> lo

> >> Hi Steve.
> >>
> >> I have more news to report.
> >>
> >> I have hacked some extra args to the kromtek multiproto szap and am able
> >> to tune to a DVB-S2 channel.
> >>

> >szap (http://kromtek.com/dvb/szap.c) should work as it is with multiproto
>
> this is the base of the hack. there are three reasons it doesn't work
> with the hvr4000 demod driver.

Hmm.. I was able to test it only with the STB0899 - STB6100/TDA8261
(KNC1, Satelco, Azurewave cards)

> 1. the modulation type needs to be explicit

The STB0899 can do modulation type detection from the physical layer.
I thought that other demods also could do the same.

> 2. fec_auto isn't available as stated in driver:

the same as above, but the MODCOD is extracted from the Pilot tones.
So it is just default AUTO like the current "existing drivers". though
there could be a bug, probably.

		switch (delsys) {
		case DVBS:
			fe_params.delsys.dvbs.symbol_rate = sr;
			fe_params.delsys.dvbs.fec = FEC_AUTO;
			printf("%s: Frequency = %d, Srate = %d\n",
				__func__, fe_params.frequency, fe_params.delsys.dvbs.symbol_rate);
			break;
		case DSS:
			fe_params.delsys.dss.symbol_rate = sr;
			fe_params.delsys.dss.fec = FEC_AUTO;
			printf("%s: Frequency = %d, Srate = %d\n",
				__func__, fe_params.frequency, fe_params.delsys.dss.symbol_rate);
			break;
		case DVBS2:
			fe_params.delsys.dvbs2.symbol_rate = sr;
			fe_params.delsys.dvbs2.fec = FEC_AUTO;
			printf("%s: Frequency = %d, Srate = %d\n",
				__func__, fe_params.frequency, fe_params.delsys.dvbs2.symbol_rate);
			break;

>     "Not all S2 mmodulation schemes are support and not all rates with
>      a scheme are support. Especially, no auto detect when in S2 mode"

The CX24116 doesn't support identifying the modulation from the
Physical layer ? Sounds a bit strange.

> 3. the delivery field has to be set

delivery system is set using DVBFE_SET_PARAMS, without which you
wouldn't be able to tune to anything, because of the switch statement.

Manu