[linux-dvb] HVR4000 Support

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 14:29:51 CET 2007

On 3/18/07, Darron Broad <darron at kewl.org> wrote:
> In message <1a297b360703180613p51a82364we3fcc6e8efb9f161 at mail.gmail.com>, "Manu Abraham" wrote:
> >On 3/18/07, Darron Broad <darron at kewl.org> wrote:
>
> lo
>

> >> I can't even see why you would need to even set the delivery
> >> type to query the delivery parameters.
> >

> >If the delivery parameters are the same, i don't see why you need an
> >API update and all the hell, if it had just the same delivery
> >parameters. ;-)
>
> i didn't say you should not specify the delivery type when
> querying, just not set it.
>
> the cx24116 driver as it stands may return one of two static
> structures when get_info is called.
>
> it makes no point to me to query for this detail prior to
> every set_params, hence, setting internal state on get_info
> is asking for problems, however, setting the delivery path
> on set_params does makes sense.

I think you still didn't understand. Don't see any easy way in which i
can explain better. :-(

> >For multistandard devices, capabilities are different due to the
> >different demodulator cores on the relevant chip (for
> >dvb-s/dvb-s2/dss), whether it be vendor X or Y, it is indeed
> >implemented that way only. And the basics specs just talks the same.
> >
> >This is due to the fact that the DVB-S2 DSP core is different from the
> >DVB-S/DSS DSP core, as mentioned in the DVB-S2 specs
> >
> >Usually, the Viterbi decoder will be on another separate core from the
> >demodulator
>
> yes, but one question, why doesn't the multiproto driver aggregate
> demods?

Multiproto is not a driver, but an API update. The demods are not
aggregated just for backward compatibility as mentioned by the DVB
specs.

> I can see it handling multiple protocol on one physical device,

Multiproto was done in a way such as to incorporate current existing
devices as well as new multistandard devices.

> but this doesn't extend to cards that contain multiple physical demods
> yet with only the one bus path, such as the hvr4000?

Multiproto is just for handling multistandard devices, not multiple demods.

Manu