[linux-dvb] DVB-H and dvbnet / MAC-broadcast address

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Fri Mar 30 14:38:16 CEST 2007

Dietmar Zlabinger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for help on receiving DVB-H.
> I get to the point where the encapsulated IP is attached to a network
> interface (as dvb0_0 using dvbnet -p <portnr>). At this stage I am
> able to dump the UDP-packets received using tcpdump. But I am not able
> to get that IP-multicast into VLC.
>
> I believe the problem is related to the fact that normally
> IP-multicast uses the Ethernet broadcast address (ff:ff...) while in
> dvb-h the destination mac is (partly) replaced by the dvb-h time
> slicing information . Therefore the traffic is only received by the
> network interface when it is in promiscuous mode (when using tcpdump),
> but not when a normal program (like vlc) is trying to get multicast
> frames out of it.
>
> My idea then was to modify dvbnet so that it replaces the "broken"
> ethernet destination (is contains timeslicing-infos) by "ff:ff" so
> that it goes through the network interface. But the actual code of
> dvbnet does actually not handle the received data, the only thing that
> program does is some ioctl(fd_net).
>
> Any idea who I could get the ethernet-multicast out even when the
> destination mac is wrong?
> Any idea how I could modify (the kernel) so that I could overwrite the
> faulty mac?
>
> I could not find any description on how to receive dvb-h on the web.
> The are some mailing on how to find SDP files, but that was not such a
> big thing (dvbsnoop  -b <pid> ..).
>

> Thanks for help,
>
> Dietmar

premitting that I have very little confidence with networking in general...
if you run
$ ifconfig dvb0_0 ip/mask promisc up
$ route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev dvb0_0
you shouldn't need to tamper with the MAC addresses.
You can also use smcrouted to re-route the tuple src_ip->dest_ip from
dvb0_0 to eth0
(although I find it annoying having to know the source ip).
I ad dvb-h working in both manners.

 Sponsor:
 Refill s.r.l. - Cartucce compatibili e kit di ricarica per tutti i modelli di stampante. Acquista al telefono o online: consegna in tutta Italia in 48 ore!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=5190&d=30-3