[linux-dvb] dvbloop - A virtual DVB adapter

Luc Brosens dvb at bsc-bvba.be
Mon Nov 26 17:50:37 CET 2007

Manu Abraham wrote:
> Luc Brosens wrote:
>
>> would this enable me to descramble a recording made without a CAM ? I have two cards, but of course only the single CAM, and would like to be able to
>> store recordings without unscrambling using the card-without-CAM and afterwards descramble them using the CAM (which of course is fully paid for and
>> entitles me to do this)
>
> Well you can't do this with the onboard CAM on any DVB card. You can do the
> same with a normal SoftCAM in userland alone, without any gimmicks
>
> Manu

Manu,

that's a big disappointment. I was counting on this to have multiple recordings, both from a single frequency on a single card, and from multiple
cards where only one has a CAM (just a single subscription should be enough) going scrambled to disk and later on descrambling 'in batch'.

as I said in an earlier post, my settop box does this all the time. I'm new to this DVB-stuff, but the pseudo-network interface from these cards
seemed like a possible option.

The SoftCAM option, would that be the frowned-upon mostly-used-for-pirating illegal thingie ? I am extremely interested in any information you can
send my way (I have and will continue to pay for a valid subscription)

Being able do decode afterwards in batch would also solve my tuning problems when the CAM is accessed (see another previous post from me)

thanks in advance

Luc