[linux-dvb] RE : RE : linux-dvb and Dektec [was: DVB API update]

Thierry Lelegard thierry.lelegard at tv-numeric.com
Thu Oct 4 10:30:50 CEST 2007

> I think there is at least one usage case where one might want to
> have the DekTec card integrated into the linux-dvb driver framework,
> which already has been mentioned: us the existing linux-dvb applications
> with it!
> Especially dvbsnoop is a very helpful tool for some cases.

> I definitely want to start another "war" about which functionality should
> be in the kernel and which not, but IMHO the usage is not as separate as you
> claim.

You mean "don't want" maybe ;-)

To address both requirements:
- Keep kernel code as small as possible
- Use "exotic" devices through linux-dvb (not only Dektec, why not also
  VideoPropulsion or Optibase devices, and even recorded TS files on disk).

you may need a generic dvb "loopback" driver as described in my previous post.
In that case, the device-specific code is written in userland and feeds the
loopback driver.

Again, if linux-dvb had kept only device-specific features in kernel and
moved generic code in a userland library, this library could offer hooks
for user-specific TS input and, in the case of non-standard DVB input,
everything specific whould remain in userland.

But, as we say here, "with a lot of "IF" you could put Paris in a bottle"...
-Thierry