[linux-dvb] Future of Multiproto

Georg Acher acher at in.tum.de
Thu Oct 11 23:42:41 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 05:11:24PM -0400, Steven Toth wrote:

> Anyway, sadly, I had to drop support for the HVR4000 via your patches
> and I'll have to find a way to reimplement support via another mechanism.

Almost a year ago I've used a very early stage of your 24116 driver as the
basis for the S2 tuner of the Reelbox (the current driver can be obtained
from their SVN).

Since I was already sceptical about the DVB-API "replication" with
multiproto, I used a pragmatic hack: The modulation (8PSK and S2-QPSK) and
the rolloff is encoded in the upper 16 bit of the FEC value (usually 0). The
new S2 FECs are appended after FEC_AUTO. So the API is absolutely backward
compatible, in fact we are using kernel 2.6.11 on the reelbox.

The only drawback is that the frontend type cannot be changed (still
FE_QPSK) and the S2 capability detection must be done by the string "DVB-S2"
in the tuner name ;-) Not very clean, but we are working in a known
environment...

         Georg Acher, acher at in.tum.de
         http://www.lrr.in.tum.de/~acher