[linux-dvb] random memory corruptions with asus p7131 (Re: asus p7131 vs ZDF?)

Soeren Sonnenburg dvb-ml at nn7.de
Sun Oct 14 18:29:01 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 02:24 +0200, Oliver Endriss wrote:
> Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> > I am unfortunately 100% sure that it is caused by the saa7146 driver, as
> > I have an uptime of over a week now that it is not loaded (but the card
> > is still in the slot, yeah and I did memory tests for 18 passes -
> > nothing).
>
> Could you please try the patch posted in
> http://linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-October/021042.html
>
> and report whether it fixes your problem?

Hmmhh, reading what it changes

"Two fixes for the 'saa7146_wait_for_debi_done' code:
(a) Timeout did not work when the routine was called with interrupts
    disabled.
(b) Reduce PCI I/O load caused by saa7146_wait_for_debi_done.
    Seems to be very important on fast machines!"

I am not sure why this could fix the problems I am seeing. I can give it
a try if you are quite confident that it could help, but I get

- gcc compile failures
- filesystem corruptions
- database corruptions

when the card's driver is loaded and is in use for a few days (and then
finally a hang/crash+reboot). I have the *feeling* that the situation
improved slightly by improving reception via F-connectors, so I thing
there is some kind of buffer overflow or so occurring...

Anyway thanks for your work, I will happily try it if you think it may
fix this problem.

Best,
Soeren