[linux-dvb] Asys P7131 Hybrid: DVB out of range

Andreas Oberritter obi at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 6 02:49:42 CEST 2007

Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, hermann pitton wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch, den 05.09.2007, 13:29 +0200 schrieb Paolo Dell'Aquila:
>>> Than  I've done some test with Mythtv and auto-scanning
>>> for channels... and now...
>>>
>>> ...now I'm having the following (BIG) problem:
>>> dvb-t doesn't work anymore (also in kaffeiene or tzap).
>>>
>>> dmesg has the following error:
>>> DVB: frontend 0 frequency 2147483647 out of range (51000000..858000000)
>> That sounds really mad, especially as you are in freq. limits of the
>> tda8275 and not of the tda8275a, which for sure you have.
>
> The limits are comming from the tda10046 info.  I think the correct thing
> to do here is to not have the tda1004x driver define frequency limits, as
> it's the tuner that has the limits.
>
> But, 2147483647 is not a valid DVB-T frequency.  It looks like some random
> number.

It's not that random: 2147483647 equals INT_MAX and also LONG_MAX on 32
bit systems.

Quoting from the manpage of strtol():

The strtol() function returns the result of the conversion, unless the
value would underflow or overflow.  If an  underflow  occurs,  strtol()
returns  LONG_MIN.   If  an overflow occurs, strtol() returns LONG_MAX.
In both cases, errno is set to ERANGE.  Precisely the  same  holds  for
strtoll()  (with  LLONG_MIN  and  LLONG_MAX  instead  of  LONG_MIN  and
LONG_MAX).

My conclusion: Your channels.conf contains invalid frequency values.
Tzap uses strtol() to parse those values and returns LONG_MAX.

The error could be reported to the user by applying the attached patch.

Regards,
Andreas