[linux-dvb] DVB API update

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 03:41:43 CEST 2007

Johannes Stezenbach wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007, Manu Abraham wrote:
>> The problem is that, after making something experimental, throwing it
>> out to application authors stating here it is: the API update, again a
>> fix to the API will make anyone furious, nobody wants to keep tinkering
>> forever on the same thing.
> Exactly, that's why I blocked your initial attempt to merge the
> DVB-S2 API extensions. *That* it was experimental code (even
> completely untested).
> But after all the discussions, and you and Steve have written
> drivers which I hope prove the API as working, why do you
> still think it is experimental? What would it take to make
> it non-experimental?
>> I would prefer to say mark it experimental in
>> a tree dedicated to it, such that it is explicitly stated that it is not
>> a permanent solution and in the background, the fixes required for the
>> relevant can be done.
> IMHO application developers hate temporary APIs -- it means they
> have to rewrite their code later, and there are zero guarantees
> as to when you make the change to the "real" API and how big the
> required changes would be.

> I really don't think there is any problem in releasing API version 3.3
> with DVB-S2 support now, then 3.4 with DVB-H, then 3.5 with DVB-T2 etc.

" I'm still not sure about the DVB-S2 API. So I would prefer
if the whole change would not be merged into mainline
until there is at least one fully functional DVB-S2 driver
in the tree (i.e. keep it in a v4l-dvb-s2 repo for now).

If you think this is too much hassle, then at least
TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE" (in capitals). So that you can
break binary and source compatibilty for the DVB-S2 part
with clean conscience until it is proven stable.

Someone by name Johannes Stezenbach wrote this, while the intend was to
do the minimalistic approach with DVB-S2 (ie, without the advanced
features of DVB-S2) ;-)

I don't know whether it was you.