[linux-dvb] DVB API update

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:47:24 CEST 2007

Markus Rechberger wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Why don't abstract the dvb layer from enduser applications and put a
> general library infront which does that version check and tries to
> keep things consistend to the end applications?

It is a nice idea, yes.

Two things, looking at
http://linuxtv.org/hg/dvb-apps/file/4bca5d49c9bd/lib/libdvbapi/dvbfe.c

* This idea of using multiple API 's was thought (It is effective , yes)
You can use multiple API's in there

* The down side is that user applications need to use this library

Someone could ask, why the hell should we use your library. Well, that
causes the headaches.

> The enduser applications would have to implement that API one time but
> it would help to keep unnecessary changes away from those applications
> and even allow to clean up things lateron without breaking all the
> applications... it's just a thought though..

Yes, that's how it would work in the ideal case, i doubt whether we can
force applications to use the library.

Manu