[linux-dvb] Lifeview DVB-T from v4l-dvb and Pinnacle Hybrid USb from v4l-dvb-kernel......help

Aidan Thornton makosoft at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 4 18:06:18 CEST 2008

On 4/4/08, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Aidan
>
> Just to let you know that after tweaking around I've managed to get it
> working stable.  I had to add a sleep in modprobe.conf else the
> em2880-dvb module was trying to load before em28xx had 'settled'.
>
> Just in case you see the problem in the future I added this to my
> modprobe.conf file to fix the problem.....
>
> install em28xx /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install em28xx; /bin/sleep 2;
> /sbin/modprobe em2880-dvb

That really shouldn't happen. What problems were you seeing, exactly?

> I've been reading that once 2.6.25 kernel is released there will be a
> lot more support for the em28 products....hopefully it'll reduce some
> of these issues going forward.

The 2.6.25 code is basically just a slightly older version of v4l-dvb
upstream - it adds (analog only) support for a few devices. While
hopefully analog support for this device should at least make 2.6.26
as long as I get a patch tested and submitted on time, I don't expect
DVB-T support for any em28xx-based device will. Perhaps for 2.6.27,
perhaps not.

(By the way, if it's not too much hassle, could you check if the
attached patch against  http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb works for
analog, especially that the device works correctly after being freshly
plugged in and that sound works? It shouldn't need the card= option,
and neither should the latest http://www.makomk.com/hg/v4l-dvb-em28xx.
If you do test the patch, be careful not to load em2880-dvb - it's not
compatible and you won't be able to unload it short of rebooting.)