[linux-dvb] Analog card with Hardware MPEG2 Enc

hermann pitton hermann-pitton at arcor.de
Wed Apr 9 23:57:45 CEST 2008

Am Mittwoch, den 09.04.2008, 11:29 -0400 schrieb John Drescher:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Frederic CAND <frederic.cand at anevia.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  I'm looking for a good PCI card, supporting Analog input (Composite,
> >  S-Video, Pal/Secam Tuner) and providing MPEG2/TS.
> >
> >  We were using KNC1 TVStation DVR cards until now (w/ saa6752hs chip) on
> >  the servers we build but we have to change (card status is "end of
> >  life") and are looking for similar cards.
> >
> >  Does anybody have a hint if such a card exist or not ?
> >
> >  Hardware MPEG2 encoding (TS encapsulation) is an important matter for
> >  us, to avoid having Software MPEG2 encoding.
> >
> Hauppage PVR150
> John

Frederic, I remember you have contributed to saa7134 empress development

Currently, after lots of code changes without any testers, empress
devices have been always very rare, the support is broken and I try to
track down last working status.

Did some testing with an unsupported card recently, has also DVB-T, and
I get everything to work except the encoder.

What kernel version does still work for you?

There is also the Behold M6 Extra now.

But this one fails, reported by Anton, even on 2.6.18, which seems to me
the last kernel most likely still functional.

I have tried on a Creatix CTX946. (saa7134 card=12 works,except encoder)

But I don't get a valid format setup, which very likely is caused by the
card is not hacked/correctly_configured yet.

Beside ivtv, the cx88 driver has also lots of cards with mpeg encoder,
so called blackbird design, but from what I hear the pvr150 and similar
are for sure well supported.