[linux-dvb] Possible SMP problems with budget_av/saa7134

Matthias Dahl mldvb at mortal-soul.de
Tue Aug 5 09:14:19 CEST 2008

Hello all.

After minutes or hours or days of running vdr 1.4.7, I get the following
messages in my syslog:

   dvb_ca adapter 0: CAM tried to send a buffer larger than the ecount size!
   dvb_ca adapter 0: DVB CAM link initialisation failed :(

When running vdr 1.6.x, the problems are even more frequent/worse and I get
those:

  dvb_ca adapter 0: CAM tried to send a buffer larger than the link buffer
  size (192 > 128)!
  vdr: [3140] ERROR: can't write to CI adapter on device 0: Input/output error
  dvb_ca adapter 0: CAM tried to send a buffer larger than the ecount size!
  dvb_ca adapter 0: DVB CAM link initialisation failed :(

The result is always the same, the CAM stops decrypting and I have to restart
vdr. After a lot of searching around, I've learnt that I am not the only one
with those problems and they seem to be related to multi core systems. I read
that pining vdr down to one CPU core might help... and indeed it did.

This cannot be a hardware related issue because...

 1) meanwhile I switched from a NForce 590 SLI to a X48 chipset and thus also
    from an AMD64 X2 5600+ (Winchester) to an Intel Core2Duo E8400 (Wolfdale)

 2) I swapped my KNC One DVB-C Plus for a new one

And the problems persist.

I've already written a report to the vdr list which was unfortunately ignored
and besides it looks more like a dvb issue itself.

I was unable to test the kernel with nosmp or similar (which was reported by
others to work just fine) because I need this machine to work on.

I've attached detailed informations about my system and I'd be more than happy
to help fix this once and for all, so one can savely rely on vdr again.

Last but not least, I am using a AlphaCrypt Light module with 3.15 firmware.

Thanks a lot in advance for every help.

Best regards,
Matthias Dahl