[linux-dvb] DVB-T USB Device which doesn't require non-free software

Markus Rechberger mrechberger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 14:07:37 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Alex Speed Kjeldsen
<alex.kjeldsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I run the fully free OS gNewSense, which basically is Ubuntu 8.04 with all the non-free stuff removed.
>
> Could anyone recommend a DVB-T (or hybrid DVB-T/Analog) USB device which would work in this environment without requiring non-free drivers or firmware?

I am not aware that there are any devices available which support as
many videostandards as those devices which use firmware.
As for em28xx based devices there have been a couple of
em2870-zl10353-mt2060 based devices around.
Whatever devices you'll use with xc3028, xc3028L, xc4000, xc5000
they'll require a firmware esp. because those silicon tuners require
special firmware/codes for the different modes. Same counts for many
Micronas designs.

I can recommend the Terratec Hybrid XS FM which is fully supported,
you can get them for a good price on Ebay what I saw yesterday when
looking at all their prices.

Markus