[linux-dvb] dib0700 and analog broadcasting

Albert Comerma albert.comerma at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 22:44:55 CEST 2008

I already discussed this dibcom + analog with Michael and Pattrick and I
ended with the conclusion that was better to wait a little for Michael (or
somebody) integrate the standard stuff with the dvb-usb api. Seeing there's
more people interested that what we thought initialy I just send the answer
from Pattrick which give good guides on the dibcom stuff. I'm not going to
start anything, as I said I think is better to wait a little.

Albert

Here's Pattrick answer for the interested (again thanks for your kind help);

Analog and DiBCom, *sigh*, it works, but it is a baby nobody really wants.
OK, let me tell you, what I had once in mind: The analog and DVB hardware
abstraction in the driver is signifacantly different. That's why it was
possible for me to create something like dvb-usb, but not so easy to have
something like v4l-usb, which abstracts the streaming and other common
things.
Mainly the frontend-architecture is it, which makes DVB more powerful that
v4l hardware abstraction. But OK.
If there would be a generic streaming mechanism which works similar to the
one in dvb-usb, I think it would be relatively easy to add analog-support
for dvb-usb or to add a analog-support to a dvb-usb-based device (function
pointer which is called each time a URB is returned instead of directly
passing it to the dvb-demuxer).
For the dib0700-driver you need some things to set up in order to receive
analog audio and video (see attached):
First you need to configure the streaming interface on the
dib0700-usb-bridge. This is done with a USB request from the host and
depends on the video format.
Then the streaming needs to be enabled in a different way then in DVB.
That's it. If I understand everything correctly, there are no special
settings for the cx2584x, but time will tell. Also it is important to know,
that the audio is coming in on endpoint3 and the video on endpoint2, which
might give some AV async.

Patrick.