[linux-dvb] Possible SMP problems with budget_av/saa7134

Peter D. peter_s_d at fastmail.com.au
Fri Aug 22 11:22:45 CEST 2008

On Friday 22 August 2008, Matthias Dahl wrote:
> Hello Peter.
>
> On Friday 22 August 2008 08:56:53 Peter D. wrote:
> > That machine now has a vanilla 2.6.26.3 kernel and the
> > "nosmp" flag.  It has been up for two hours now.  If you
> > don't solve this in the next month, I'll post a follow-up.  ;-)
>
> I am sorry to disappoint you but I guess we are talking about different
> problems here. This thread is mainly about problems with concurrent
> access to a ci/cam attached to a budget card. And since you are using
> dvb-t which afaik is always fta, you are experiencing a totally different
> problem. Besides my machine never locked up, the cam just stopped
> decrypting. Otherwise it would really have been quite strange to explain.
> :-)

I was already disappointed in the motherboard.  :-(

> Have you run some tests on the machine like a memtest and/or processor
> test?

Overnight runs of memtest have not found a fault with either mem stick.
Problems have occurred with each stick being the sole stick, and with
two different processors, both were X2 3600+ AMDs.  I doubt that both
cpus have the same problem.  sys_basher did not find any faults.
Do you recommend anything in particular - like cpuburn?

> Faulty memory can causes all sorts of strange problems. If you
> still suspect the dvb subsystem, compile a kernel without it, test and
> stress it. If it works reliably for a longer period of time, you've
> possibly narrowed the list of suspects down. But I bet it's more like a
> hardware problem... sorry.
>
> So long,
> matthias.

I think that it is a motherboard problem, but I will let it run with
nosmp for a while and see what happens.

--
sig goes here...
Peter D.