[linux-dvb] hybrid cards/stick experience on Ubuntu?

Lars Oliver Hansen lolh at ymail.com
Fri Aug 22 23:05:37 CEST 2008

Hi,

I could imagine it's not a welcome question but I'm looking for a new DVB-T / Composite Analog TV cardbus card or usb card and I'm writing here to ask for your experiences with such cards on Ubuntu 8.04. Currently I own an AVerMedia E506R yet whatever I did with whoevers help, I didn't get it to run properly on Ubuntu 8.04 and I'm against risking my otherwise perfect installation with a vanilla kernel as I've got not much Linux experience. Problems with my E506R: sometimes it gets powered on on boot, sometimes it doesn't. If it gets powered on, tvtimes video is vertically wavy. There is no sound due to saa7134-alsa troubles. I'm using mrecs experimental dvb-t driver.

Thus: what's your experience with hybrid tv cards under Ubuntu 8.04? Which work out-of-the-box, which require a new v4l-dvb package and which require some else fiddling ?

Thanks for your help!

Lars

P.s.: I sent this message 5 hours ago but it doesn't appear to have come through (it's my first message to this list)