[linux-dvb] Looks like there's a new unsupported WinTV Nova T 500 out there

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Aug 28 14:56:52 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:
> Michael Krufky wrote:
>>
>> Paul Gardiner wrote:
>>>
>>> Just trying to get MythTV up and running, plugged in my
>>> newly arrived WinTV Nova T 500 and no /dev/dvb directory
>>> appeared. It's not the known probelmatic Diversity version,
>>> but it does say v2.1 on the box, and it seems to have
>>> different chips. :-(
>>>
>>> Just thought I'd warn people and maybe ask if anyone
>>> else has run into this.
>>
>> What is the 5-digit model number of your PCI card?
>
> Says 99101 LF
>     Rev D8B5
>
> Also on the circuit board: 990000-03A LF
>
> It has 2 x 3000P-2122a-G / 6121030-A / 0636-200-A
>       1 x 0700C-XCXXa-G / USB2.0 / D2F9Y.7 / 0635-0100-C
>       1 x VT6212L / 0617CD

Based on the info above, it looks like you have a board that actually
*is* supported in the mercurial repository.

>> Did you confirm that it doesn't work in the v4l-dvb master repository?
>
> Do you mean build from the leading edge? No, didn't try that.

Please test the linuxtv.org v4l-dvb master development repository and
confirm -- if it is still not recognized, then let me know.

>> If that's the case, give me a few days and I'll push in a patch for it.
>
> Brilliant, thanks, but how is that possible? I can imagine it's not a
> huge change to make a new ID recognised, but with the chips being
> different, isn't a huge complicated change? Or are these different
> variants of the same chip?

It might be no change at all.  I'd look it up in the code, but I don't
even know what the usb ID's of your device are, offhand -- what are
they?  (do "lsusb -n | grep 2040" )

You should really try the development repository before you go off
telling other people that the card isnt supported.

If it turns out, in fact, that your card isn't supported, then we'll
be able to take care of that quickly.

Regards,

Mike