[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Janne Grunau janne-dvb at grunau.be
Sat Aug 30 17:30:09 CEST 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 20:29:30 Steven Toth wrote:

> Mauro Chehab, Michael Krufky, Patrick Boettcher and myself are hereby
> announcing that we no longer support multiproto and are forming a
> smaller dedicated project group which is focusing on adding next
> generation S2/ISDB-T/DVB-H/DVB-T2/DVB-SH support to the kernel
> through a different and simpler API.
>
> Basic patches and demo code for this API is currently available here.
>
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/s2

Overall API looks good.

I have also a slightly preference for DTV/dtv as prefix but it's not
really important.

16 properties per ioctl are probably enough but a variable-length
property array would be safe. I'm unsure if this justifies a more
complicate copy from/to userspace in the ioctls.

> Importantly, this project group seeks your support.
>
> If you also feel frustrated by the multiproto situation and agree in
> principle with this new approach, and the overall direction of the
> API changes, then we welcome you and ask you to help us.
>
> Growing the list of supporting names by 100%, and allowing us to
> publish your name on the public mailing list, would show the
> non-maintainer development community that we recognize the problem
> and we're taking steps to correct the problem. We want to make
> LinuxTV a perfect platform for S2, ISDB-T and other advanced
> modulation types, without using the multiproto patches.
>
> We're not asking you for technical help, although we'd like that  :)
> , we're just asking for your encouragement to move away from
> multiproto.
>
> If you feel that you want to support our movement then please help us
> by acking this email.

Acked-by: Janne Grunau <janne-dvb at grunau.be>

Janne