[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 19:05:45 CEST 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Artem Makhutov <artem at makhutov.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 02:29:30PM -0400, Steven Toth wrote:
>> Regarding the multiproto situation:
>>
>> A number of developers, maintainers and users are unhappy with the
>> multiproto situation, actually they've been unhappy for a considerable
>> amount of time. The linuxtv developer community (to some degree) is seen
>> as a joke and a bunch in-fighting people. Multiproto is a great
>> demonstration of this. [1] The multiproto project has gone too far, for
>> too long and no longer has any credibility in the eyes of many people.
>
> Can you please explain me what you do not like in multiproto?
>
> I can only see the two issues right now:
>
> 1. Binary incompatibility
>
> As the DVB-API was not developed to work with advanced modulations like
> DVB-S2 an API change is a must. As soon multiproto is in kernel the
> distros and application maintainer will patch their applications to work
> with multiproto.

Let me clear this up. There isn't any binary incompatibility. If you
need the newer
modulations/delivery systems, then you need to recompile the application for the
newer systems. Binary compatibilty exists completely with the old API.
Even if you
add in newer delivery systems/modulations later (with the API update),
as the size
of the data structures do not change, there doesn't occur any binary
incompatibility

Regards,
Manu