[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Igor M. Liplianin liplianin at tut.by
Sun Aug 31 23:05:28 CEST 2008

В сообщении от 29 August 2008 21:29:30 Steven Toth написал(а):
> Regarding the multiproto situation:
>
> A number of developers, maintainers and users are unhappy with the
> multiproto situation, actually they've been unhappy for a considerable
> amount of time. The linuxtv developer community (to some degree) is seen
> as a joke and a bunch in-fighting people. Multiproto is a great
> demonstration of this. [1] The multiproto project has gone too far, for
> too long and no longer has any credibility in the eyes of many people.
>
> In response, a number developers have agreed that "enough is enough" and
> "it's time to take a new direction", for these developers the technical,
> political and personal cost of multiproto is too high. These developers
> have decided to make an announcement.
>
> Mauro Chehab, Michael Krufky, Patrick Boettcher and myself are hereby
> announcing that we no longer support multiproto and are forming a
> smaller dedicated project group which is focusing on adding next
> generation S2/ISDB-T/DVB-H/DVB-T2/DVB-SH support to the kernel through a
> different and simpler API.
>
> Basic patches and demo code for this API is currently available here.
>
> http://www.steventoth.net/linux/s2
>
> Does it even work? Yes
> Is this new API complete? No
> Is it perfect? No, we've already had feedback on structural and
> namingspace changes that people would like to see.
> Does it have bugs? Of course, we have a list of things we already know
> we want to fix.
>
> but ...
>
> Is the new approach flexible? Yes, we're moving away from passing fixed
> modulation structures into the kernel.
> Can we add to it without breaking the future ABI when unforseen
> modulations types occur? Yes
> Does it preserve backwards compatibility? Yes
> Importantly, is the overall direction correct? Yes
> Does it impact existing frontend drivers? No.
> What's the impact to dvb-core? Small.
> What's the impact to application developers? None, unless an application
> developer wants to support the new standards - binary compatibility!
>
> We want feedback and we want progress, we aim to achieve it.
>
> Importantly, this project group seeks your support.
>
> If you also feel frustrated by the multiproto situation and agree in
> principle with this new approach, and the overall direction of the API
> changes, then we welcome you and ask you to help us.
>
> Growing the list of supporting names by 100%, and allowing us to publish
> your name on the public mailing list, would show the non-maintainer
> development community that we recognize the problem and we're taking
> steps to correct the problem. We want to make LinuxTV a perfect platform
> for S2, ISDB-T and other advanced modulation types, without using the
> multiproto patches.
>
> We're not asking you for technical help, although we'd like that  :) ,
> we're just asking for your encouragement to move away from multiproto.
>
> If you feel that you want to support our movement then please help us by
> [...]

I am not much a letter writer.
So one way or another, DVB-S2 needs to be included.
Who makes first technical step? I mean working S2 driver in v4l-dvb tree.
I truly want to see that!

I see the problem like that - I have a card, I want it to work under Linux,
I don't see any reasons to wait for someone to make a driver (it is lasting
for years, you know), I make it myself. Any political reasons?

So I am not asking you for technical help, although I'd like that too :)

BR
Igor