[linux-dvb] AnyTV AUTV002 USB ATSC/QAM Tuner Stick

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 07:43:45 CET 2008


Michael Krufky wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 11:11 AM, CityK <cityk at rogers.com> wrote:
>> Bob Cunningham wrote:
>>> What are the next steps?
>>> 1. How much effort will be needed to make this driver work?
>>> 2. Do all of the pieces already exist?  (All the chips seem to be
>>> mentioned somewhere in the DVB tree.)
>>> 3. What new code is needed?
>>> 4. How much reverse-engineering needs to be done?  Will a full
>>> schematic be needed?
>>>
>>> Most importantly:
>>> 5. How can I help?
>>>
>>> I'm a real-time embedded systems programmer with 25 years experience,
>>> though most of what I've written runs on "bare metal", often without
>>> an OS.  I know nothing about Linux device drivers.  However, I am very
>>> good at getting local hardware to "play nice", first by poking it with
>>> a debugger, then generally by scripting through /dev/port.
>>> I've never worked with hardware across the USB bus, though I have
>>> brought up USB interface hardware from the CPU side, and have had to
>>> snoop USB traffic to diagnose problems.  Unfortunately, I don't have a
>>> Windows system available to use to snoop the USB traffic from the
>>> driver provided by the vendor, though I haven't yet tried to get
>>> anything to work via Wine.
>>>
>>> I'll be taking lots of time off in December, and should have some time
>>> to put toward this project.
>>>
>>> If anyone else is curious, or wants to help, the product is here:
>>> http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15569
>>>
>>> I also found a brief description of a reference design here:
>>> http://www.auvitek.com/AU8522%20MT%20USB%20TV%20Stick%20Design%20Brief_R1.0.pdf
>> 1 - probably not a lot
>> 2 - sounds like it, but I do not know how far developed the MT2131
>> driver is
>> 3 - probably just the "glue code" to tie all the pieces together
>> 4 - likely none (there may be a chance the the components are wired up
>> slightly differently, such as in the case with GPIO pins, in which case
>> you'd have to try to discover the true configuration....schematics would
>> obviously help, but probably 99.99% of cases are resolved without such
>> aide )
>> 5 - you can add the support for the device !  :P    Because of the
>> advanced state (component drivers already exist) you won't need any in
>> depth knowledge about the developing device drivers.  At this point, all
>> you will need to do is figure out where to insert the necessary glue
>> code in the existing modules - have a look in the source code of the
>> respective components (eg. /linux/drivers/media/video/au0828/ ;
>> /linux/drivers/media/dvb/frontends/ ; .... ).  Note that the AU0828 does
>> not currently support analog
>> (http://marc.info/?l=linux-video&m=122459807631633&w=2).
>>
>> I suspect that solving the EEPROM issue is just a matter of adjusting
>> the code so that it is not specifically expecting a Hauppauge
>> signature.  Getting the device to attach the correct tuner should be, I
>> imagine, fairly straight forward too .  It would appear that this device
>> is highly similar to the Woodbury  (see:
>> http://marc.info/?l=linux-dvb&m=122617795121243&w=2); I do not know
>> whether there is significant difference between the respective MT parts
>> -- might be trivial, then again it might not be
> 
> I am hosting experimental support for these devices in the following
> mercurial repository:
> 
> http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/teledongle
> 
> Please generate any patches, if any, against the above tree.
> 
> If you read the comments that I wrote in the changesets in that tree,
> it explains what I know about these devices.
> 
> Ignore the "syntek teledongle" name for now -- there are so many of
> these different devices floating around with the same USB ID that the
> name really doesnt matter.
> 
> If this works for you, please let me know.  So far, the tda18271
> version works, but the mt2131 version does not.
> 
> -Mike
> 

Sorry for the delay!  I got, built and installed the teledongle tree, and dmesg provided the following output:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
usb 1-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=05e1, idProduct=0400
usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-2: Product: USB 2.0 Video Capture Controller
usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Syntek Semiconductor
au0828 driver loaded
au0828: i2c bus registered
tda18271 4-0060: creating new instance
Unknown device detected @ 4-0060, device not supported.
Unknown device detected @ 4-0060, device not supported.
tda18271_attach: error -22 on line 1171
tda18271 4-0060: destroying instance
MT2131: successfully identified at address 0x60
DVB: registering new adapter (au0828)
DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (Auvitek AU8522 QAM/8VSB Frontend)...
Registered device AU0828 [Syntek Teledongle [EXPERIMENTAL]]
usbcore: registered new interface driver au0828

And dvbscan was still "Unable to query frontend status".

It will take me longer than expected to get into the code.  If an experineced v4l developer would like to take on this device, I'll donate one to the cause.  I'll stay in the loop for testing, and to learn how it is done.


Thanks,

-BobC



More information about the linux-dvb mailing list