[linux-dvb] Nova-S-Plus audio line input

Lawrence Rust lawrence at softsystem.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 11:27:35 CET 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 20:17:41 Darron Broad wrote:
> hi
>
> >I have a Hauppauge Nova-S-plus PCI card and it works great with satellite
> >reception.  However, I would also like to use it with an external DVB-T
> > box that outputs composite video and line audio but when I select the
> > composite video input I can see a picture but get no sound.
> >
> >I'm using kernel version 2.6.24 so I dug around those sources and I see in
> >cx88-cards.c that there's no provision for line audio in.  However, the
> >latest v4l top of tree sources have added support for I2S audio input
> >and 'audioroute's.
> >
> >So I modded my 2.6.24 sources to support the external ADC and enable I2S
> > audio input using the struct cx88_board cx88_boards.extadc flag, similar
> > to the changes made in the current top of tree.  This now means that I
> > can watch DVB-T :-)  I don't believe the changes affect any other cards.
> >
> >I would like to see support added for the Nova-S-Plus audio line input in
> > the kernel tree asap.  What's the best way of achieving this?  I can
> > supply a diff for 2.6.24 or the current top of tree.
>
> I would be interested to see what changes you made to achieve this
> and am able to test. Please share your patch for testing.
>
> Thanks
> darron

Diffs for linux kernel 2.6.24 and the current v4l tip attached.

The change for the current top of tree is minimal - just a few lines in the
static configuration data of cx88-cards.c.

The changes for 2.6.24 parallel the changes made for audioroutes in the
current tip.

Note the changes to cx88_alsa.c to remove the tuner volume control if there's
no TV tuner and to re-group the switches more logically.  I was thinking of
adding some code to adjust the WM8775 gain - what do you think?

HTH.

-- Lawrence Rust