[linux-dvb] Problems with kernel oops when installing HVR-1800.

Mark Jenks mjenks1968 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:20:06 CET 2008

> I tried to install a hvr-1800 in it yesterday, and I get a kernel oops on
> it and X won't start.   I compiled up a 2.6.27.10 kernel for it, and moved
> to that, and I still get the oops.    Checked my vmalloc and I am fine, but
> increased it anyways to 384 just for grins.

That is a nasty bug that you are hitting. You shouldn't get NULL
dereferences at any time. I'd either file this at the kernel's bugzilla or
try to get it attention some other way. I'm not a systems programmer so I
can't really help with a code fix.

> Here is more than enough debug info, I hope.  :)

Have you tried  removing the 1250? Or moving the 1800 to a different slot?
Or even manually placing the 1250 and 1800 on different IRQs via the BIOS?
I'm not sure if any of this will work, but it might be worth a try.

Also, what does your relevant kernel config look like? I have the 1800 and
mine is:

#
# Multimedia devices
#

#
# Multimedia core support
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2_COMMON=m
# CONFIG_VIDEO_ALLOW_V4L1 is not set
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L1_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_DVB_CORE=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_MEDIA=m

#
# Multimedia drivers
#
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_SIMPLE=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA8290=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA18271=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TDA9887=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5761=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_TEA5767=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT20XX=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_MT2131=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC2028=m
CONFIG_MEDIA_TUNER_XC5000=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_V4L2=m
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_GEN=m
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DMA_SG=m
CONFIG_VIDEOBUF_DVB=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_BTCX=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_IR=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_TVEEPROM=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_TUNER=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_IR_I2C=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_WM8775=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX25840=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX2341X=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_ALSA=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_BLACKBIRD=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_DVB=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX88_VP3054=m
CONFIG_VIDEO_CX23885=m
CONFIG_DVB_CAPTURE_DRIVERS=y

#
# DVB-S (satellite) frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_CX24123=m

#
# DVB-T (terrestrial) frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_CX22702=m
CONFIG_DVB_MT352=m
CONFIG_DVB_ZL10353=m
CONFIG_DVB_DIB7000P=m
CONFIG_DVB_TDA10048=m

#
# ATSC (North American/Korean Terrestrial/Cable DTV) frontends
#
CONFIG_DVB_NXT200X=m
CONFIG_DVB_OR51132=m
CONFIG_DVB_LGDT330X=m
CONFIG_DVB_S5H1409=m
CONFIG_DVB_S5H1411=m

#
# Digital terrestrial only tuners/PLL
#
CONFIG_DVB_PLL=m

#
# SEC control devices for DVB-S
#
CONFIG_DVB_ISL6421=m

Not all of these are needed, but my 1800 works perfectly with all these, so
hopefully it is something you can work off of. This config is from kernel
2.6.27.1.

Invite Andrey Falko to chat

Mark JenksOkay, I noticed something else about this. With only the 1250
install, I stil...
4:21 PM (17 hours ago)
Mark JenksLoading...4:21 PM (17 hours ago)
Mark Jenks to Andrey
show details 4:21 PM (17 hours ago)

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried to install a hvr-1800 in it yesterday, and I get a kernel oops on
>> it and X won't start.   I compiled up a 2.6.27.10 kernel for it, and moved
>> to that, and I still get the oops.    Checked my vmalloc and I am fine, but
>> increased it anyways to 384 just for grins.
>>

> That is a nasty bug that you are hitting. You shouldn't get NULL
> dereferences at any time. I'd either file this at the kernel's bugzilla or
> try to get it attention some other way. I'm not a systems programmer so I
> can't really help with a code fix.
>

>> Here is more than enough debug info, I hope.  :)
>>

> Have you tried  removing the 1250? Or moving the 1800 to a different slot?
> Or even manually placing the 1250 and 1800 on different IRQs via the BIOS?
> I'm not sure if any of this will work, but it might be worth a try.

Okay, I noticed something else about this.  With only the 1250 install, I
still show a conflict, but it's with nvidia.  Which I am guessing is my
graphics module.

# cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0       CPU1
  0:         43        122   IO-APIC-edge      timer
  1:          0         10   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
  7:          1          0   IO-APIC-edge      parport0
  8:          1         98   IO-APIC-edge      rtc0
  9:          0          0   IO-APIC-fasteoi   acpi
 10:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      MPU401 UART
 12:          0        114   IO-APIC-edge      i8042
 14:          0          0   IO-APIC-edge      pata_amd
 15:        428     110508   IO-APIC-edge      pata_amd
 16:     692578     871510   IO-APIC-fasteoi   cx23885[0], nvidia
 17:          0         59   IO-APIC-fasteoi   aic7xxx
 19:          0          3   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci1394
 20:          0          4   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ehci_hcd:usb2
 21:      10431    2805257   IO-APIC-fasteoi   ohci_hcd:usb1
 22:          9     301431   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_nv, HDA Intel
 23:    2188108       9575   IO-APIC-fasteoi   sata_nv, eth0
NMI:          0          0   Non-maskable interrupts
LOC:    3616861    3955952   Local timer interrupts
RES:     405641     865050   Rescheduling interrupts
CAL:       2622       2092   function call interrupts
TLB:        727        496   TLB shootdowns
TRM:          0          0   Thermal event interrupts
SPU:          0          0   Spurious interrupts
ERR:          1
MIS:          0

Andrey Falko to me
show details 10:01 PM (12 hours ago)

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Mark Jenks <mjenks1968 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Okay, I noticed something else about this.  With only the 1250 install, I
> still show a conflict, but it's with nvidia.  Which I am guessing is my
> graphics module.

That is a good point. If you do report a bug make sure you are running the
open source nv driver and not the proprietary nvidia driver. I am running
the proprietary driver without issues, but trying the nv driver is another
thing for you to try.

Invite Andrey Falko to chat

Your message has been sent.

Mark Jenks to Andrey
show details 10:17 AM (1 minute ago)

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Andrey Falko <ma3oxuct at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:21 PM, Mark Jenks <mjenks1968 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Okay, I noticed something else about this.  With only the 1250 install, I
>> still show a conflict, but it's with nvidia.  Which I am guessing is my
>> graphics module.
>>

> That is a good point. If you do report a bug make sure you are running the
> open source nv driver and not the proprietary nvidia driver. I am running
> the proprietary driver without issues, but trying the nv driver is another
> thing for you to try.

The nv drvier I don't believe is going to work for me at all.   I use
Composite video out from my MB.

-Mark