[linux-dvb] [patch] support for key repeat with dib0700 ir receiver

Jonas Anden jonas at anden.nu
Wed Feb 20 10:00:27 CET 2008

> > Wouldn't going away from an event interface kill a possible direct link
> > between the remote and X?

Yes, it would.

> > The way I see it, LIRC is an additional layer that may be one too many
> > in most cases. From my point of view, it is a relative pain I could do
> > without. But I may have tunnel vision by lack of knowledge.
>
> I agree with you. I'm more looking for a solution with existing things.
> LIRC is not in kernel. I don't think we should do something specific, new.
> If there is nothing which can be done with the event system I think we
> should either extend it or just drop this idea.

IMHO, the event interface does not match well with the reduced key set
on a remote control. The keys are mapped in the driver which makes it
difficult to customize. I'm not talking about the current problem with
the mappings being hardcoded -- that could probably be solved without
too much work.

The problem I see with the mapping taking place in the driver, is that
the interpretation of the key presses and releases should be
application-specific. If I'm in MythTV, I want one interpretation. In
Evolution, the same keypress should be interpreted differently. Firefox
has a third set of mappings. Lircd solves this problem for me, while the
event interface creates one static mapping.

  // J