[linux-dvb] RTL2831U kernel driver success

stealth banana stealth.banana at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 15:58:09 CET 2008

Just to post that I have total success with the RTL2831U kernel
drivers and watching with Kaffeine.

I took the source from realtek, and added a makefile so it will
compile as a standalone.  This needed a bit of dirtyness in the form
of copying several files that the modules depend upon from the kernel
source to the module directory.  It still throws up a few warnings
when compiling, mostly to do with redefining things (to be expected
really) and unsigned constants, so the realtek code needs some clean
up.

I am using Kubuntu Gutsy.  I have put a .txt file in the Doc directory
showing what is needed so it can be easily changed for other kernels.
The package is availble from here.

http://coronach.adsl24.co.uk/code/rtl2831u_dvb-usb_v0.0.1.tar.bz2

Just unpack, make, sudo make install and it should work on Ubuntu
Gutsy as is.  I have tested it on 2 Kubuntu i386 systems and it works.

I know this is a nasty hack, but it works and the quality and
responsiveness seems a lot better that it does in windows.

I would be interested if anyone else gets this to work.