[linux-dvb] Asus U3000 family

Martin Leopold leopold at diku.dk
Tue Jan 15 01:18:40 CET 2008

Hi All.
I recently bought an Asus My Cinema U3000 Hybrid, which isn't supported
in the Kernel that comes with Ubuntu or as far as I can tell the current
HG repository[1]. I found a patch for the U3000 Mini floating around
Ubuntu's bug tracking[2], that looks very trivial - so I tried something
similar on my device, but with no luck.

It is unclear to me whether the 3 devices in the U3000 family has
anything other than the name in common. I noticed the bug report above
talk about different tuners, but nothing conclusive.

The patch from bugtrack simply adds the U3000 Mini to the dib-driver,
and I tried the same with the U3000 Hybrid device in the attached patch
(against current HG). I tried a few applications, but none of them seem
to be able to find any channels (the Windows driver finds channels). For
example scan:

scan -a 0 /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/dk-Copenhagen
scanning /usr/share/doc/dvb-utils/examples/scan/dvb-t/dk-Copenhagen
using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0' and '/dev/dvb/adapter0/demux0'
initial transponder 714000000 0 3 9 1 1 0 0
>>> tune to:
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
>>> tune to:
WARNING: >>> tuning failed!!!
ERROR: initial tuning failed
dumping lists (0 services)

Can someone help me with some hints?

Regards Martin Leopold.
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen