[linux-dvb] Multiproto ???

John Goacher linuxdvb at johngoacher.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 16:56:43 CET 2008

Stephen Rowles wrote:

>>> This will be DVB-S2 transmissions including HD content, and will use the
>>> Eurobird 1 satellite situated at 28.5° east (from what I can find on the
>>> web).
>>
>> You may be right about this but so far everything I've seen suggests
>> that Freesat will be DVB-S.  I've not seen anything about DVB-S2.  Do
>> you have a reference for this?

>I cannot find the site I originally found, but it was a list of hardware
>specs for various Freesat boxes, and they were all S2.

>Looking around (digitalspy forums) it would appear that SD content is all
>DVB-S, but when they start the HD transmissions that will be DVB-S2 (h.264
>IIRC, but again I cannot find a good reference).

>The old BBC site had more info, but now it is a flash marketing site :)

The current BBC HD transmissions, prior to the official launch of Freesat
are DVB-S, and broadcast From Astra 28.2E. There was some talk of a possible
move to DVB-S2 at some time in the future, but I don't have a reference for
this and haven't seen anything more about it in the last few months.

AFAIK, all the current BBC HD transmissions are 1080i.

regards,
John