[linux-dvb] Testing HVR1800

Chaogui Zhang czhang1974 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 21:06:21 CET 2008

On Jan 22, 2008 1:45 PM, Barry Quiel <quielb at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> Chaogui Zhang wrote:
> > On Jan 22, 2008 5:38 PM, Barry Quiel <quielb at ecst.csuchico.edu> wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> So I spoke a bit too soon. For whatever reason it started working in
> >> Myth, although I still can't get a good cat /dev/video1.  BUt I can't
> >> change the channel.  When I try and change the channel Mythfrontend
> >> reports an error and the exits back to the menu.  When I go back into
> >> livetv it is on the same original channel and there is no audio.  If I
> >> exit out and go back in I get audio back, but still can;t change the
> >> channel.
> >>

> > Although I don't have the HVR1800...
> >
> > In my experience, it is generally easier to test a new driver if you
> > use simpler applications such as tvtime, azap/dvbscan. These programs
> > will tell you pretty quickly whether the device and its driver are
> > working properly or not. Once you are sure the drivers are working
> > properly, then move on to your favorite media center or any other
> > program.
> >
> > Trying to test device driver with MythTV sometimes muddles the water
> > too much and you won't know whether it is a problem with the driver or
> > the application.
> >
> I don't think a cat /dev/video1 can get much simpler.  But in this case
> I am getting results that would appear to be reversed.  The simpler
> testing method is giving poor results, while the more complex
> application is giving better results, although not 100%.

Is the device properly initialized by the driver when you did "cat
/dev/video1"? Is it tuned to the right channel/frequency/source input?
"cat /dev/video1" itself lacks the ability to control the device and
therefore you won't be able to test the driver's ability to change
channels, for example, without relying on another application.

Chaogui Zhang