[linux-dvb] Fwd: How can I ever succeed using DVB-T on Gentoo Linux?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 22:49:19 CET 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com>
Date: Jan 22, 2008 4:48 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] How can I ever succeed using DVB-T on Gentoo Linux?
To: Jesper Taxbøl <jesper at taxboel.dk>

On Jan 22, 2008 4:23 PM, Jesper Taxbøl <jesper at taxboel.dk> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I assume you mean v4l-dvb-hg.

Yes.  I am briefly using it with a kworld-115 on amd64 and all is well. I
also use this to get the latest ivtv driver for my pvr150. The nice thing
here this is kernel independent so this allows me more freedom than what the
in kernel versions do.

> Thanx for the hint, but I already tried that one without success on
> system. I once nearly got a Nova-T USB stick working(noisy) for a
> while using that. But I needed to find the source and add the USB ID
> in the driver.

It is possible to add a patch to the ebuild (in your own overlay) so you can
make this automatic. This is not a beginner step but I have done that quite
a few times with gentoo.

> By the way can you emerge the media-tv/linuxtv-dvb-firmware ebuild? It
> always fails to download, and I assume it is intended for the
> v4l-dvb-hg ebuild.

For my card I had a little trouble but it was not at the download step. My
problem was that I could tune but got no watchable signal on any channel
until I painstakingly spent hours debugging and I finally was able to
extract the firmware from my cards windows driver and then using that it
worked. After that I replaced the linuxtv-dvb-firmware and it still works. I
am confused.

John

--
John M. Drescher