[linux-dvb] Pinnacle 800i driver problems

Muppet Man muppetman4662 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 04:00:21 CET 2008

----- Original Message ----
From: Chaogui Zhang <czhang1974 at gmail.com>
To: superhappyfunball <superhappyfunball at gmail.com>
Cc: linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 11:09:03 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-dvb] Pinnacle 800i driver problems

On Jan 23, 2008 11:11 PM, superhappyfunball
 <superhappyfunball at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have since gotten it running. Seems I was missing the XC firmware
 for

Glad to hear that. I guess it should have been mentioned earlier that
the firmware is needed. In any event, I have updated the wiki page at
linuxtv.org with the relevant firmware downloading instruction so we
can point anyone else to a page that explains all the necessary pieces
to get the 800i working.

> the tuner. I grabbed, extracted and reloaded the modules, and all is
> well. Except for one thing:
>
> No sound. Now, it could just be ALSA issues. I know running multiple
> soundcards can be an issue. Ideas?

I assume you mean analog tv or analog input. The audio is via the
cx88-alsa module, which is working fine for me last time I tested. You
need to grab the sound from the appropriate /dev/dsp? device. Do a
"cat /proc/asound/cards" and it will tell you what number(the "?") to
use for your cx88-alsa device. Note that you might run into issues if
your cx88-alsa grabs the index 0 for your sound cards. In that case,
use module options to force the cx88-alsa to index 1 or 2 as needed.
Index 0 should be reserved for your main sound card so your normal
software can use /dev/dsp (which they always default to).

--
Chaogui Zhang

Ok, I know I am really close now, but I am still having trouble.

Here's what I did, and what I am getting.  I extracted the xc5000 file, moved it over to /lib/firmware, then I downloaded the lastest v4l-dvb, sudo make, sudo make install, and rebooted.  My system came right back online.  I have sound and a network connection.  I went to mythtv back end, and my card was already selected, but when I go to scan channels, I get an error.  I started tvtime, went to scan for channels, nothing.  I started kaffeine, and again, my card was there, but I cannot scan for channels.  I know I am so close, but I don't know what to do from here.
On the plus side though, I am truly thankful for all the assistance from Chaogui and Steve.
Thanks again.
Ed