[linux-dvb] compiled drivers break some others - is this common for all driver-projects in linuxtv.org

CityK CityK at rogers.com
Fri Jan 25 15:24:42 CET 2008

Wolfgang Friedl wrote:
> Hello
>
> Maybe this is a strange question:
> I have a Pinnacle PCTV-Stick (em2880);
> its drivers (em2880 project at linuxtv.org) "breaks" (and
> therefore disables loading) other drivers like gspca/pwc and other
> webcam drivers.
>
> As far as I investigated, this is a common problem for this driver.
>
> As I saw e.g. for the af9015 driver the installation (compilation) seems
> quite similar:
>
> So: are _all_ drivers from the projects (for different chipsets) of
> linuxtv.org supposed to be
> modify the v4l API * so severely (or is this a speciality of the em2880
> driver? )

The em2880 project is mrec's stuff and NOT part of LinuxTV ... marcus
used to actively contribute here, but became disgruntled and left,
setting up shop elsewhere, though he still hangs around the mail lists
and irc channels, as they are the main hub for discussions. In any
regard, the answer to your question is that out of tree drivers may or
may not break things -- either way, LinuxTV has no bearing on the
behaviour of work from 3rd parties.