[linux-dvb] dvb mpeg2?

Nico Sabbi Nicola.Sabbi at poste.it
Thu Jul 24 16:01:14 CEST 2008

On Thursday 24 July 2008 15:57:06 Nico Sabbi wrote:

> be aware that demuxing the TS in its elementary streams implicitly
> drops all timestamps (that are recorded in the PES headers), thus
> recombining the audio and video streams will produce a
> desynchronized output, unless you are lucky.
> There simply aren't enough informations to keep synchrony without
> timestamps. With your method if a stream is corrupt
> you will likely see a desynchronization from the first breakage
> onward, while working on the TS the muxer has a chance to recover

BTW, although mencoder is broken in countless respects,
generating an mpeg-ps is quite safe:

$ mencoder -demuxer lavf -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -oac copy -ovc
copy -o output.mpg input.ts

eventually dropping -demuxer lavf if it doesn't work (lavf's demuxer
isn't nearly as permissive as my native TS demuxer (the default one)
but it has an advantage: strictly correct timestamps on all frames)