[linux-dvb] opening dvr for writing

Steven Dorigotti steven.dorigotti at tvblob.com
Fri Jun 13 17:36:26 CEST 2008

Hello,

   I am trying to write data to the dvr device in order to playback
recorded streams back on the frontend device for testing purposes.

   I have tried the following test taken from linuxtv-dvb-
apps-1.1.1.tar.gz (as well as others):

# ./test_dvr_play ../james.mpg 33 34
Playing '../james.mpg', video PID 0x0021, audio PID 0x0022
Failed to open '/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0': 22 Invalid argument

both on mips (custom) and x86 (Ubuntu Etch) architectures with the
following hardware: DiB0070 and wt220u.

   If the open() mode is changed to RDWR instead of WRONLY, errno
changes to "Operation not supported".

   Is this a known bug and is there a patch available? I have done
similar tests with a much older version of linux-dvb in the past with
no problems.

cheers,
Steven