[linux-dvb] compiling quickcam messenger driver when v4l-dvb tree compiled on the side

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sat May 24 11:01:06 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have that laptop, using Ubuntu, with the kernel headers installed.

I have also a recent v4l-dvb tree. The dvb stuff is compiled directly
from that tree using the headers and the DVB stick works very fine.

Now, I have that Logitech quickcam messenger that needs this driver:

http://home.mag.cx/messenger/

It wants to use the kernel headers I have and compile.

But when I want to insert the module, it complains loudly:

[31431.072034] quickcam: Unknown symbol video_devdata
[31431.072436] quickcam: disagrees about version of symbol
video_unregister_device
[31431.072442] quickcam: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
[31431.072620] quickcam: disagrees about version of symbol
video_register_device
[31431.072624] quickcam: Unknown symbol video_register_device

My guess is that it was compiled against the v4l version in the Ubuntu
header, and that I have in fact a different v4l version in binary form
because I compiled and installed a recent v4l-dvb tree.

Could someone give me directions about how I could compile my webcam
driver against the proper code?

Thanks much,

Nico