[linux-dvb] DVB on 64 vs 32 bit linux.

hermann pitton hermann-pitton at arcor.de
Tue May 27 02:28:50 CEST 2008

Am Montag, den 26.05.2008, 10:41 +0200 schrieb Nico Sabbi:
> On Sunday 25 May 2008 20:59:46 Sid Boyce wrote:
> > Blacky wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Just curious, but I have an older system running a 32bit linux,
> > > which I’ve installed zapdvb and done some recording
> > >
> > > with. I’ve built a new system with mythbuntu on 64bit, and using
> > > the same card, the reception is
> > >
> > > truly terrible. Low signal, stuttering, corruption etc..
> > >
> > > Should I rebuild using myth on 32bit? Is there a difference?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Blacky.
> >
> > Not as far as I am aware. I have 2 64-bit systems with DVB-T cards
> > running openSUSE 11.0 Beta3plus x86_64 and results are the same as
> > when the cards were used with the older 32-bit hardware and OS's in
> > the same boxes. I swapped out the Motherboard/CPU/mem and used all
> > the other components, installed 64-bit and carried on as normal.
> > Regards
> > Sid.
>
> same here: 100% equivalence of tuning with both my cards
> (of 2 different types) although your driver _may_ have a problem

Hi,

hmm, I seem to have some faint memory, that there have been at least
some previous reports for tickless systems, but might be wrong here.

Some 64 stuff around here, since a while, did never made it into some
real 64bit testing scenarios, since the F(c) & RH ;) anaconda installer
has some serious and _now_ !, after waisting time on it again, well
known issues since FC7, which still exist on F9 with some very popular
raid controllers, and I always thought we have enough bugs and new cards
to fix ourselves ... (just a note)

Though, after ten years, I bought some recent known buggy stuff in the
next supermarket ...

Cheers,
Hermann