[linux-dvb] HD over satellite? (h.264)

hermann pitton hermann-pitton at arcor.de
Thu Nov 6 03:38:07 CET 2008

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 05.11.2008, 17:33 -0800 schrieb Florin Andrei:
> Christophe Thommeret wrote:
> > Le jeudi 6 novembre 2008 01:14:42 Florin Andrei, vous avez écrit :
> >> But I noticed that the european TV network that I watch over satellite
> >> is now doing experiments with HD. They are testing HD broadcast over
> >> satellite, encoded with h.264. They call it DVB-S HD.
> >>
> >> Question: Are you aware of any receiver that can be used with Linux to
> >> capture DVB-S HD?
> >
> > If it's DVB-S, any DVB-S device will.
> > If it's DVB-S2, you need a DVB-S2 device.
>
> So HD can be transmitted over DVB-S as well, it does not automatically
> imply DVB-S2. OK, that's something I didn't know.

that is true.

But people should know, as far I can say, that future HD broadcasts will
be DVB-S2 and to buy now something not capable of it will be, well,
Lehman and Iceland BS*, and nobody will compensate you. It is already
trash.

And as always, the longer you wait, the cheaper you get it.

Cheers,
Hermann