[linux-dvb] Hardware pid filters: are they worth it?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:28:30 CET 2008

I am doing some driver work, and the USB device I am working on has
hardware pid filter support.

Obviously if I don't implement such support, the kernel will do the
pid filtering.

Does anyone have any experience with hardware pid filters, and have
they provided any signficant/visible benefit over the kernel pid
filter (either from a performance perspective or power consumption)?
This is aside from the known benefit that some streams would fit into
a full speed USB whereas before you might have required high speed
without the hardware pid filter.

It's probably a good thing to implement in general for completeness,
but if there isn't any power or performance savings then I'm not sure
it's worth my time.

Opinions welcome,

Devin J. Heitmueller
AIM: devinheitmueller