[linux-dvb] Hardware pid filters: are they worth it?

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:28:30 CET 2008

Hello,

I am doing some driver work, and the USB device I am working on has
hardware pid filter support.

Obviously if I don't implement such support, the kernel will do the
pid filtering.

Does anyone have any experience with hardware pid filters, and have
they provided any signficant/visible benefit over the kernel pid
filter (either from a performance perspective or power consumption)?
This is aside from the known benefit that some streams would fit into
a full speed USB whereas before you might have required high speed
without the hardware pid filter.

It's probably a good thing to implement in general for completeness,
but if there isn't any power or performance savings then I'm not sure
it's worth my time.

Opinions welcome,

Devin

--