[linux-dvb] How to determine DVB-S2 capability in S2API?

Klaus Schmidinger Klaus.Schmidinger at cadsoft.de
Sun Nov 23 11:59:09 CET 2008

On 22.11.2008 18:37, Christophe Thommeret wrote:
> Le samedi 22 novembre 2008 16:43:07 Klaus Schmidinger, vous avez écrit :
>> I'm currently adopting the patch that makes VDR use S2API,
>> but I can't figure out how an application is supposed to find out
>> whether a DVB device is DVB-S or DVB-S2.
>
> This bit is missing in current api.
> Will be added soon, i guess asa someone provides a patch :)
> A that time, i solve that with a user toggleable "S2 capable device" ui
> option.

Considering that the "multiproto" API did think of handling this,
I really don't understand why the "technologically superior" *S2*API
didn't even think of this.

Requiring the user to configure this is a workaround that even
more disqualifies the decision to go S2API.

But anyway, it looks like we're stuck with this inferior API, so
I've posted a patch that adds this capability. Let's hope it gets
adopted - VDR 1.7.2 will require it, anyway.

Klaus