[linux-dvb] Some thoughts about v4l-hg repository

Helmut Auer vdr at helmutauer.de
Sun Nov 23 20:57:16 CET 2008

Hi List,

I am just writing down my definitly subjective opinion aboit the v4-hg
repository.
I am not a developer of dvb drivers, I have a small gento based
distribution with vdr as main application.
The troubles which I have with v4l drivers are growing from  release to
release.
In the moment I have to decide if I take multiproto or s2 as base, and
there are pro's and con's ...
There are some repositories around which will support different drivers
( is there a list somewhere ) and I am going to get lost in this "jungle".
In my eyes the v4l has grown into a beast which cannot be handled for a
distribution.
There are 3 open issues which I've posted to this ML and never have been
solved and also some others drivers ( cablestar ) are still not working,
or will break from changeset to changeset.
So in the feature I will make my live much easier and will build the
distribution just with a handful of drivers.
Supporting more costs much too much time with a ML which cannot (or will
not) help.

Helmut Auer, helmut at helmutauer.de