[linux-dvb] Revisiting the SNR/Strength issue

Steven Toth stoth at linuxtv.org
Wed Oct 15 16:30:24 CEST 2008

Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> I know that this has been brought up before, but would it be possible
> to revisit the issue with SNR and strength units of measure being
> inconsistent across frontends?
>
> I know that we don't always know what the units of measure are for
> some frontends, but perhaps we could at least find a way to tell
> applications what the units are for those frontends where it is known?

The SNR units should be standardized into a single metric, something
actually useful like ESNO or db. If that isn't available then we should
aim to eyeball / manually calibrate impossible boards against known
reliable demods on the same feed, it should be close enough.

This requires patience and time from the right people with the right
hardware.

- Steve