[linux-dvb] Revisiting the SNR/Strength issue

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 16:40:09 CEST 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Steven Toth <stoth at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> The SNR units should be standardized into a single metric, something
> actually useful like ESNO or db. If that isn't available then we should aim
> to eyeball / manually calibrate impossible boards against known reliable
> demods on the same feed, it should be close enough.
>
> This requires patience and time from the right people with the right
> hardware.

I agree that standardizing on a particular unit would be the ideal
scenario.  Realistically though, do you have any confidence that this
would actually happen?  Many frontends would have to change, reverse
engineering would have to be done, and in many cases without a signal
generator this would be very difficult.  This could take months or
years, or might never happen.

Certainly I'm in favor of expressing that there is a preferred unit
that new frontends should use (whether that be ESNO or db), but the
solution I'm suggesting would allow the field to become useful *now*.
This would hold us over until all the other frontends are converted to
db (which I have doubts will ever actually happen).

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com