[linux-dvb] Subject: Announcement: wiki merger and some loose ends

Michael Papet mpapet at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 18:29:30 CET 2008

> Subject: [linux-dvb] Announcement: wiki merger and some
> loose ends
> To: video4linux-list at redhat.com, linux-dvb at linuxtv.org,
> 	Devin
> 	Heitmueller <devin.heitmueller at gmail.com>

As a  sometime contributor to both wikis, may I suggest you pause a moment and be sure you can use "LinuxTV" without the copyright holder on the name Linux coming after you with Cease and Desist (C&D) orders.  Could they?  Yes.  Linux is trademarked in Germany and the U.S. by Linus Torvalds.  Would they?  To generate some billable hours and defend their mark, sure.  This could be a case whereby bad things happen to people with good intentions.  We have all seen it before.

I know it is opening a new can of worms, but in order to run the wiki/project as professionally as possible, I suggest coordinating with the Trademark owner lawyers on this one now, rather than later under more negative circumstances when the results of your improved wiki are already committed.

Michael