[linux-dvb] System freezes with 6 cx88 DVB-S adapters (5 x KWorld DVB-S 100, 1 x Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) DVB-S/S2)

Michael Cutler m at cotdp.com
Thu Oct 30 16:44:13 CET 2008

Hello,

I have quite an interesting problem on a system with 6 tuners, basically the system 'locks up' completely after a short period of fairly intensive use, only a power-cycle can bring the system back to life. I first experienced this since building the system with Fedora Core 9 fully updated (2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686). I spotted some cx88 changes in the 2.6.27 release notes and so upgraded to Fedora Core 10 / Rawhide and I am still experiencing the same problem on 2.6.27.4-58.fc10.i686.

The problem appears when I run a simple script which controls all available tuners simultaneously and tunes (szap) to a range of transponders before running tests (dvbsnoop -s pidscan) on the content of each. This morning I grabbed the latest v4l-dvb source tree (http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb) and built it for my 2.6.27.4-58.fc10.i686 kernel and I am still experiencing the same problem.

Up until this morning I have been limited to the 5 x KWorld DVB-S 100 tuners as the stock Fedora kernel didn't support the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR4000(Lite) board. So the problem existed before the HVR4000 was included in the loop.

I have attached various bits of debug, its tricky to try and diagnose the real cause as the machine completely freezes and doesn't respond to anything. I have tested the rest of the hardware (memtest, cpu burn-in-tests etc.) and the system is otherwise perfectly stable. But if I run the script to utilise all the tuners for a few minutes to an hour and the machine locks up.

Any ideas? suggestions?

Regards,
MC